The long Bordeaux 2009 campaign train has passed. The dust has settled, and what remains is the summer calm.
Well, fortunately this is not entirely true: sales continue. Now that we have the complete picture for the 2009s we see people adding some extra wines, while others are only just now starting to make their pick. I can only say, if you want to buy 2009, do not wait too long as wines get sold out now. For example, yesterday the last Château Latour was sold, today the last Château Clinet.
In this posting I present 3 short-lists: the Bordeaux 2009 top sellers (from the Bolomey Wijnimport offers), and my personal Bordeaux 2009 recommendations, split in one list with affordable wines, and one list with - more expensive - grand classics.
Bordeaux 2009 sales top 15
1. Château Ormes de Pez 2009 (Saint-Estèphe)
2. Château Cantemerle 2009 (Haut-Médoc)
3. Clos du Jaugueyron 2009 (Haut-Médoc)
4. Château Poujeaux 2009 (Moulis-en-Médoc)
5. Château Cantenac-Brown 2009 (Margaux)
6. Château Chasse-Spleen 2009 (Moulis-en-Médoc)
7. La Parde de Haut-Bailly 2009 (Pessac-Léognan)
8. Château Grand Corbin-Despagne 2009 (Saint-Emilion Grand Cru)
9. Château du Tertre 2009 (Margaux)
10. Château Duhart-Milon Rothschild 2009 (Pauillac)
11. Château Pontet-Canet 2009 (Pauillac)
12. Château Raymond-Lafon 2009 (Sauternes)
13. Château Gloria 2009 (Saint-Julien)
14. Château La Tour du Pin 2009 (St-Emilion Grand Cru)
15. Château Léoville-Barton 2009 (Saint-Julien)
Note: this is not a general top 15, but the top 15 for Bolomey Wijnimport (see list). Quantities sold are also the result of the amount that is or was available, and the result of what is recommended. So there is an overlap with the next lists, the recommendations.
Bordeaux 2009 personal recommendations: best-value wines
(recommendations only for wines that are still available)
− Château La Tour du Pin 2009 (St-Emilion)
owned and made by neighbouring Cheval Blanc, costs a fraction!
− Clos du Jaugueyron 2009 (Haut-Médoc)
biodynamic, small-scale, original & pure, true personal favourite
− Château Grand Corbin-Despagne 2009 (St-Emilion)
organic wine, Jane Anson: "the Pontet-Canet of the Right Bank"
− La Parde de Haut-Bailly 2009 (Pessac-Léognan)
energetic second wine of the stellar Pessac Château Haut-Bailly
− Château Ormes de Pez 2009 (Saint-Estèphe)
one of the Best Value 2009s, from the Lynch Bages team, great!
− Château Gloria 2009 (Saint-Julien)
very good and convincing, affordable wine from grand cru vineyards
− Alter Ego de Palmer 2009 (Margaux)
lovely Margaux, and a true bargain compared to the grand vin
Highly recommended - and still available - grand classics
− Château Giscours 2009 (Margaux)
− Château Rauzan-Ségla 2009 (Margaux)
− Château Langoa-Barton 2009 (Saint-Julien)
− Château Smith-Haut-Lafitte 2009 (Pessac-Léognan)
− Domaine de Chevalier rouge 2009 (Pessac-Léognan)
− Château Nénin 2009 (Pomerol)
− Vieux Château Certan 2009 (Pomerol)
− Château Rieussec 2009 (Sauternes)
For prices and other details see the complete Bordeaux 2009 offers.
The tasting notes for these wines can be found in the april-postings on this blog.